The National Bee Unit has confirmed sightings and nests of Asian Hornets in multiply locations across the South of England. For the latest information please view our rolling updates page at:
What Can I Do?
- Familiarise yourself with the Asian hornet: https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/diseases-and-pests/asian-hornet
- Monitor your apiaries using monitoring traps:
A simple monitoring station can be seen in this blog https://aphascience.blog.gov.uk/2021/09/08/asian-hornet-week-hunt-for-asian-hornets/ It’s made using a takeaway tray kitchen towel soaked in a fruit juice bait with extra sugar.
- Ensure your BeeBase records are up to date with apiary locations and contact information. Log in at https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/log-in/ to check your details
Report any suspect sightings
- with your smart phone or tablet, by using the ‘Asian hornet Watch’ app:
- online at: http://www.brc.ac.uk/risc/alert.php?species=asian_hornet
- by email to: email@example.com. Please include as much information as possible in your email; where you saw the sighting, your name and contact details and if possible an image.
Please note that during outbreaks the NBU receive high numbers of calls and emails. Therefore, we ask that you use the information given above to report sightings. Where possible please use the app or electronic form.
We thank you in advance for your co-operation and continued vigilance.